Lesson: Database Features – Reports, Sorts and Queries
A database report presents information found in the database in a formatted, attractive manner. The information presented may be the database as entered, a database of sorted records, or only certain records of the database as found in a search (query).
Reports generally show multiple records per page in table format – with one record being displayed per row of the table. The columns of the table are the fields of information. Not all fields need to be displayed in each report. You may choose which fields to display, the order of the fields and whether a search has taken place.
To create a report:
1) Perform the sort or query as required
2) Create Report
3) Choose the fields to keep in the report – you can decide which fields to delete – this only deletes from the report not from the database
4) In Design View – make the report attractive, add titles – there should be a main title which is the name of the database and a secondary title which is what has been done to the database:
5) Use Print Preview to print the report
Class Database – sorted by last name
Sorted by Last name
1) Set up the sort Criteria: Home / Sort and Filter / Advanced / Advanced Filter Sort – Enter the sort criteria (the first sort is the primary sort, and subsequent sorts break ties – for example – first sort is last name and break ties with first name)
2) Perform the Sort: Home / Sort and Filter / Advanced / Apply Filter Sort
3) Create a report
1) Set up the sort Criteria: Home / Sort and Filter / Advanced / Filter by Form – Enter the search criteria (for example – last name is Smith)
2) Perform the Query: Home / Sort and Filter / Advanced / Apply Filter Sort
3) Create a report
Task 1: For the BTA 3O Class Database create the following reports:
1) All students listed in alphabetical order by last name.
2) All students listed in order by age (oldest to youngest)
3) All students that have a last name that starts with A-J
4) All students that like hockey as their favourite sport
For each report decide which fields to display (do not display all fields in all reports)
Task 2: Exercises 17 (full database report), Exercise 22 update (do not print reports) and Exercise 34 (3 reports) of database section